Newbie Question: How to start development with STM32F429

Hi there,

my company wants to try some new IoT stuff, but has zero experience there. As a developer I was given the task to evaluate development possibilities for our first prototype. Searching around the internet I found MicroEJ, which concepts sounds really cool. I have read some articles and tried different demonstations on the MicroEJ website. But I’m really not sure if this is the right approach.

Therefore I wanna ask for some basic help and some pointers in the right direction. Here is what we want to do. We plan on building a small gadget reading the blood preassure from the fingertips via a optical sensor. The data will then be further processed and then displayed on a small screen. The following picture shows the used hardware.

I stumbled across the following page: https://developer.microej.com/supported-hardware/stmicroelectronics-stm32f4/

What I don’t know is, whether our gadget can be implemented with MicroEJ. Also what are good first steps or tutorials for this approach? We want to use the newest SDK 5.0, but the demo implementations are built upon SDK 3.0. Is there a way to use the newest version?

Thanks very much for every reply. I’m also sorry if this is a foolish question, but we really do not have any experience here. But everyone has to start at some point.

Best regards,
Martin

Hi Martin,

First and foremost the short answer is yes, MicroEJ can do exactly what you want.

The long answer:

• on the hardware side you need to know what peripherals you’ll be using, and which protocols and interactions between peripherals and MCU are needed, you seem to already have an idea about that. The only thing I’d like to add is what will be the use of the USB-to-UART component here? Will it be used for debug/log traces?

• on the software side MicroEJ provides a Virtual Execution Environment (VEE) where you will be able to code your business logic and UI with a high-level programming language (usually Java). You’ll also be able to interact with specific hardware (your SPO2 sensor) and the BSP by extending the VEE with native extensions.

A great way to start would be to use one of our getting started page centered on platform development (a VEE port on a specific MCU/hardware):

For specific UI development you can use the documentation and examples:

https://docs.microej.com/en/latest/PlatformDeveloperGuide/ui.html

To extend the platform functionalities and interact with customs sensors, you can consult:
https://docs.microej.com/en/latest/PlatformDeveloperGuide/native.html

As stated here you can contact us (using the form) for more information about a STM32F4 platform using the latest MICROEJ SDK.

Hope it’ll help.
Gaëtan for MicroEJ

Hi Gaëtan,

thank you very much for your detailed reply. I will look throw the listed links in the following days.

The USB-to-UART component will be used to send the collected and transformed data to external devices.

I think I will come back with further questions when I have a better understanding of the modules involved. Thank you very much so far.

Best regards
Martin